03 June 2008

The entire month of May (and the end of April)

So my guess is that no one has ever read this blog and probably won't ever...and rightfully so since I have not blogged since April. It is probably because I did a bunch of road races and crits in May and got my ass kicked a lot (which tends to be less fun to write about) and I was finishing my first year of med school. Thank goodness that's over too :)

Here is a quick run down on the races I neglected to post.

Iowa City Road Race: I did not have a high enough gear at this race. An attack happened, there was a huge down hill and a tail wind and I was left spinning like 4 year old in the kids race. I ended up in a chase group with my teammate A.M., a friend of mine from Bikes to You A.V., and two of the ladies from Punk Rock Cycling J.R. and J.G. We dicked around for 3 laps, no one would pull into the wind and every once in a while someone would attack. It was kinda fun though. It was the first time on this course that I did not end up riding alone. In the end, I jumped the sprint one hill too soon, but it didn't really matter since all of the money spots were already taken up the road. All in all though it was a fun race.

Old Cap Crit: Next day at the crit, I got my ass handed to me by S.B. She came out swinging and when all was said and done only 2 of the other women in this race managed not to get lapped by her. I on the other hand got to see her come around me twice. Some leech from the University of Minnesota sat on my wheel for like 10 of the 18 lapps that she and I completed and then went around me on the last lap. She ended up in the money, but clearly sucks at life. I would rather go home with nothing than to race like that. People told me I should have yelled at her and made her pull, but f- that. We were racing for 12th place. How I see it is, I race as hard as I can ever race and if it pays off and I do well great...if not, at least my day was not wasted. I worked hard and got in a good workout.

Waverly Mountain Bike Race: We went down the day before the XC race and did a time trial. It was a tough course and this chick that does the Xterra races brought her A-game. She beat me by like a minute in the time trial and then proceeded to beat me by like a quarter of a lap in the XC race the next day. We had to do 5 laps and before the end of the first lap I managed to take a header into the ground. I was a little disoriented and kinda nauseous. So I just rode the best I could the rest of the race. There were only 2 of us, but I hoped that the pay out would at least cover my entry fee, but it didn't. So a swollen head, broken helmet, and very little prize money...we headed home with my tail between my legs.

Six hour race in Boone: Make that four hour race in Boone...scratch that...paid $50 for Kyle and I to do 3 short laps at Boone. Got called Nancies by K.S. and dumb assess for even trying by A.L. All-and-all, made the wrong decision to even try racing this weekend, but it was kinda fun to hang out in the rain with some of our Des Moines friends.

Memorial Day Weekend Races:
Snake Alley 1/2/3. I got schooled down the hill, but held my own up it. After losing 17 places in the first 3 laps, I battled hard to stay ahead of a group of 5 riders I was with. I would push past all of them up the hill and lose ground and even get passed on the down. This went on for like the last 5 laps. Finally the last lap I just pushed to the top and pedalled, pedalled, pedalled down and ended up 18th/42. I was lapped by the 2 leaders, but made it across the line just seconds before the chase group.
Melon City 1/2/3. I fell off the big lead pack with J.R. from Punk Rock Cycling. We fought back into the group and I actually started moving up on the descents. The last lap was starting and I was excited to finally have a chance at a sprint finish, especially since this one was up hill. Right after the start/finish line, there is a sharp left turn. I positioned myself on the far right, so that I would have the right on my way down the hill, but right before we turned the girl next to me drove her bike into mine and put me into the curb and over the bike I went. My chain came off so violently that it came over my crank arm. It took me over a minute to get the damn thing back on and by then 3 other girls that had fallen off of the main group came around me. I finished 32nd/47. I will think better next about my positioning around that corner.
Quad Cities 2/3. I stayed with the main pack. Got swammed on the last lap and finished 20th/32.
Quad Cities 1/2/3. I stayed in the main chase pack, which was eventually lapped by the 7 rider lead pack. Finished 23rd/31.

No comments: