21 April 2009

Sylvan Island...or should I say Mud Island

The season opener for IMBRA was this past Sunday at the Sylvan Island MTB trails in Q.C. There were more than a few people chomping at the bit for this one. With dry conditions on Saturday, the race was for sure a go. That did not stop the rain gods from dumping a massive amount of rain on us all day on Sunday. Oddly enough, Eagle Point in Dubuque (the other major race on Sunday) got no rain and neither did I.C. Apparently, a few angry clouds set up shop in Q.C. all day Sunday and we alone got to enjoy wet, soggy chamois.

So, Kyle and I arrived in time to do a practice lap before the beginner race. The trails had not absorbed much water yet and although we were wet and a bit muddy, we had not yet experienced the true nature of what those trails were to become during the race. We were smart enough to bring 2 sets of clothes...although in hindsight I had twice as much stuff caked full of mud to wash, but it was nice to get out of the first wet chamois while we were watching the beginner race.

True to the shop, they threw their newest recruit into the beginner race on flat pedals. Sal did a really nice job...although to his credit, he had not only ridden a mountain bike before he had also raced one, which was in stark contrast to poor Thomas the train last year. Anyway, I digress. All of the beginners did a nice job in those tough conditions!

Next up was the men's sport and women's open races. Having caught the tail end of the men's race last year before they even got into the woods with only a one minute time delay, I asked for a 2 minute delay this year and none of the other women seemed to mind. Thank goodness for that suggestion. There were 2 relatively bad wrecks on the straight stretch before the woods. Two minutes turned out to be just enough time to get the men off the road and bikes out of the way before we came plowing through. Unfortunately, Kyle was one of the men caught up in the second wreck, but eventually he made his way back into the race and he finished very well considering how far behind he was and how hurt had gotten.

Although it was much later this year when I reached the back of the men's sport riders, it was a very similar scenario to last year. The guys at the back seem to be in complete denial that a woman or multiple women for that matter could be stronger than them and so they ride themselves into the ground trying to stay ahead of us. Luckily most of them made some stupid mistake and going around was quite easy. It just amazes me each year that that mentality still exists. By mid-pack though, I felt like a rock star because the guys were bending over backwards to let me around. I will usually just stay behind someone until a big open section comes up or until they make a mistake, but at this point in the race guys were actually getting over while on the single track. I say a resounding "THANK YOU" to these guys. I know that they did not have to do that, and I really appreciate the respect that shows me and the other ladies in my race!

The race turned into a total mud fest. Unlike the pre-race laps that we did, there was true mud and HUGE puddles now on the course. Before the race, the promoters changed the number of laps from 4 to 3. What a relief! It was brutal enough with 3. Oddly enough, I had a really great time. Unlike Waverly a couple of years ago when the mud was so thick that we were pushing, pulling, and dragging our bikes, you could just plow through this stuff. I never once have to push and all of the "climbs" (if you even wish to call them that) were easily ascended without spinning out. Honestly, I know I could have talked myself into do one more lap if we had to but 3 was more than enough.

I placed 1st for the ladies and was 12th overall out of the 54 people that finished. I was only 36 seconds behind Mr. Perrill on his single speed which made me feel even better since that guy is ridiculously fast. Nickski that little snake in the grass finished 4th overall, while Darcy and Brit finished 3rd and 4th in the women's race. Then in the expert race, Robnett aka J.T. finished 2nd, Nenninger finished 3rd, and Darryl finished 4th. It was a great day for I.C. kids!

As of yesterday, I was still digging crusted dirt out of my ears and nose and my eyes continue to water profusely, but it was a great time. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Next up, we are back on the road with the Iowa City Road Race and Old Cap Crit...

No comments: