14 July 2008

WORS Firecracker and FORC Side Thrill Ride

Chippewa Valley Firecracker in Eau Claire, WI:
As I mentioned in my last post, Kyle and I planned to head up to Wisconsin over the fourth of July weekend for some mountain bike racing. We had a great time and the course was really fun, but I managed to stink things up pretty bad by coming in 7th overall (out of 20 total finishers). My legs just weren't feeling it. I got a pity prize of 15 WORS bucks for getting 3rd in my age group, but there was no excuse for me not to be in the top 5 or really the top 3. I had raced all of those women before, but you live and you learn. Sometimes you are on fire and other times you suck balls and even other times you just need to get on your damn bike more so this kind of thing doesn't happen again.

FORC Side Thrill Ride in Davenport, IA at Sunderbruch Mountain Bike Park:
Just this past Sunday, Kyle and I headed up to D-port with a couple of the shop guys for the 3rd race in the Iowa Mountain Bike Championship Series. We had ridden here about 3 other times, so I was comfortable with the course. This race had a women's open instead of separate women's expert and sport races. We went off with the sport men which as always was a giant cluster. There was no major competition there for me, so I just kinda went with the flow. The first lap was obviously the worst, but I was on my own by the second and ended up catching a few guys (including Kyle ;). Overall, I ended up getting 1st in the women's race (there were only 6 of us) and 14th in the men's sport race (I think there were 35 of them). Poor Kyle took a header into his handlebars on the last lap and banged his head up pretty good, but I think he is going to pull through.

Next up RAGBRAI, which we leave for this Saturday. Riding, drinking, and no sleep...what could be better?

No comments: