06 July 2009

Iowa State Crit...and lessons learned

Yesterday was the Iowa State Crit. Unlike years in the past in which the race has been in Pella, IA and up against an Iowa MTB race, this year the race was in Cedar Rapids and not up against a local MTB race (at least as far as I could tell). I decided awhile back that I was going to do it, but I guess I wasn't thinking about where I would be in my clerkships or what type of course it was going to be. Well, it turns out that the course was flat as a pancake with only 4 turns (I prefer climbing and desending, twists and turns) and I am just now getting used to the 10 hour days on Stroke ward, which has been very disruptive to my training schedule. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have still done the race, but I probably would have ridden it differently.

Anyway, we start off pretty slow. No attacks really, and pacing at about 20 MPH. It felt like we weren't even moving. They called a couple of primes which got things moving momentarily, but things would always settle back down shortly after the sprint. With about 15-18 laps to go, I pushed the pace around a few of the corners, but was not able to stay away off the front for any considerable amount of time. Then, Kim came around and attacked, but that did not stick either. Then, with 5 or so laps to go a prime was called and I had just worked quite a bit at the front. After the sprint for the prime, I realized I was on the wrong wheel and suddenly a gap formed. I couldn't bridge it, so the rider I was with, Lacey from DMOS, and I took turns rotating until we finished together.

I was very disappointed with this finish, since up until now I had been having my best road season so far.

Lessons learned:
1) My life is changing and I will have to change with it. I don't have to quit cycling/racing just because I started my M3 year, I just have to learn how to make it work in my new life.

2) Bad races happen. Whether it was bad because I have not been training enough or because it just wasn't a good course for me or whatever, life goes on. One bad race doesn't dictate how other races will go, anymore than one good race will.

3) I have a fantastic teammate. This isn't really a new lesson learned, but more solidified what I already knew. Not only does she ride her bike fast and is a great role model, she is a great friend. I appreciate all her support in good times and bad.

Next up, maybe Bike, Blues, and BBQ weekend? maybe? Next MTB race, WORS #6 Sunburst Showdown. The stroke team part of my rotation ends tomorrow and then I start in the clinics on Wednesday. Who knows, maybe I will find somemore time/energy to ride?!

No comments: